January 9, 2016
Peter Tiboris, the Founder and General Music Director of MidAm International in New York City and the International Festival of the Aegean in Syros, Greece, is pleased to announce that the 13th Annual Festival will begin on Sunday, July 16, and end on Sunday, July 31, 2017. For the fifth consecutive year, the Pan-European Philharmonia from Warsaw, Poland, will be the resident orchestra at the Festival. The Pan-European Philharmonia was founded by Peter Tiboris, who is its music director. Jakub Fiebig is the Executive Director.
The Festival is supported by Syros’ Mayor George Marangos, Vice-Mayor for Culture Thomai Mendrinou, and the Council of the Municipality. The orchestra from Warsaw is appearing this year, as last year, due to of the generous support of the Schwarz Foundation of Munich, Germany.
On July 8, for the “Festival Kickoff,” the Greek Opera Studio will present a Reception and Concert at The Old City Hall Gardens in Della Grazia, Posidonia, on Syros Island.
Highlights of this year’s Festival include:
- The opening concert on July 16, which will feature Beethoven’s heroic Symphony No. 5 and a major choral work performed by four visiting choirs from the US plus members of Greece’s University of Patras Choir. Additional performances by the symphony will occur with different repertoire on July 18, 20, and 22.
- Four performances of Puccini’s dramatic Madama Butterfly, conducted by Giovanni Pacor, on July 17, 19, 21 and 23.
- At the St. Nicholas Cathedral Church, the annual a cappella sacred music concert featuring visiting choirs from the United States “at Sunset” on July 21.
- The closing performances on July 30 and 31 will feature the return to the Festival of the Director and Choreographer Renato Zanella who will bring members of the National Ballet of Bucharest for two gala performances.
- Greek Opera Studio will present “Casanova” (based on Mozart’s Don Giovanni), Liederabend; a musical theater evening, and special performances for children entitled “Bravo, Brava.”
More than 350 visiting artists from 20 countries will be in-residence during the 13th Annual Festival of the Aegean on the Island of Syros.
A complete day by day listing of events will be posted on www.festivaloftheaegean.com by February 1, 2017.
Tickets for this year’s summer Festival will go on sale on April 1 2017, at the Apollo Theater and on line at www.ticketservices.gr
Dale Zeidman in NYC: firstname.lastname@example.org,
Mary Avgerinopoulou in Athens: Avgerinopoulou.email@example.com,
Visit us online at www.facebook.com/midamerica.productions for more information